Saturday, 30 August 2014

Important documents you should have in India.

If you are the citizen of India, you should get below documents. Below documents are very important as they are required for residential address proof or Identity proof.

  1. PAN Card
  2. Voter ID Card
  3. Adhaar Card
  4. Driving License
  5. Ration Card
  6. Passport
  7. Marriage Certificate
  8. Birth Certificate
  9. Death Certificate
  10. Registered Rent Agreement.
In this article I will tell you the purpose of each document and the process to apply for each of them. The application. 

PAN Card
PAN stands for the Permanent Account Number. This number is used by Income Tax department of India to track the taxes paid by the Indian citizens. So basically PAN card is required when you file ITR - Income Tax Returns. PAN card can be used for Identity proof. You can find more details about PAN Card at this link. PAN 

The process to apply for PAN Card is given below.
  1. You can contact agent and get it done from him/her.
  2. You may also apply online at 
  3. Application processing fee is around Rs. 100
Voter ID Card

Voter ID Card is required if you want to vote in Indian Election System. It is issued by Election Commission of India. It can also be used a valid address proof, Identity proof and age proof.

You can also search if the voter ID exists with your name at
You can register on below site.

You can also visit local corporation office to register your name in the voter list.

Adhaar Card
Adhaar Card is a unique number given to each Indian. It is like SSN in USA. It can be used for identification, address proof as well.
You can get it by visiting regional offices in your city.

Driving License
Getting a driving license is a long process in India. You will have to apply for the learning license and then permanent license.You can follow this Link  to know about the application process in Pimpri Chinchwad RTO. Process should be similar in other parts of India as well.

Ration Card
Ration card is used to get the food and fuel at subsidized rates in India.
You can visit corporation office in your city to apply for the Ration Card.
There are 2 types of Ration Cards.
  1. Orange Coloured (For families having income < 1 lac per annum)
  2. White Coloured (For families having income > 1 lac per annum)
Passport is an important document that you must have if you want to travel out of India. You can apply for the passport online at Apply Online or visit local passport office.

Marriage/Birth/Death Certificates
All of the above certificates can be obtained at local government office like corporations. 

Registered Rent agreement
Rent agreement can be of 2 types.

  1. Notary Rent Agreement (Simple) with Rs. 500 stamp.
  2. Registered Rent Agreement (Complex) - This is costly.
These days many government offices want that you furnish registered rent agreement for obtaining different certificates like marriage, birth certificate etc.
So you should register your agreement with government registrar office by paying the stamp duty on it.

What do you think on this topic? Please express your opinion through comment below. You can write to me at

Sponsored Links

Popular Posts



Google+ Followers

Google+ Badge