as

Friday 22 December 2017

Tense sub types in English Grammar - Simple, Perfect, Imperfect, Perfect Imperfect

There are 4 subtypes for each tense
  1. Simple - used to indicate simple action/ habit.
  2. Imperfect (Progressive/Continuous) - used to indicate that action is going on (in progress).
  3. Perfect - used to indicate that action has finished in the past.
  4. Perfect Imperfect - used to indicate action was going on and it is still in progress.
Simple tense needs just the verb. But for other tenses, we need to use (to be / to have) forms as mentioned below.
  1. to be forms - am/is/are (present),  was/were (past), will be(future)
  2. to have forms - have/has(present),  had(past), would have(future)
For example - for continuous tense, we need to use to be+ing (I am working). For perfect tense, we need to use "to have+pp" (I have worked). For perfect imperfect tense, we need to use "to have + been + ing" (I have been working)
  1. Imperfect (Progressive/Continuous) - to be + ing
  2. Perfect - to have + pp
  3. Perfect Imperfect - to have + been + ing
In below list, you will see which form can be used for each type of pronoun.
  1. I                        - am/was/will be / have/ had/ would have
  2. we                     - are/were/will be/ have/ had/ would have
  3. You (Singular)  - are/were/will be/ have/ had/ would have
  4. You (Plural)      - are/were/will be/ have/ had/ would have
  5. He/She/It          - is/was/will be/ has/ had/ would have
  6. They                 - are/ were/ will be/ have/ had / would have

Below tables shows how we can use tenses in English.

Below table shows examples using Pronoun I.

I
Present
Past
Future
simple
I go

 I do not go
I went

I did not go
I will go

I will not go
Imperfect
I am going

I am not going
I was going

I was not going
I will be going

I will not be going
Perfect
I have gone

I have not gone
I had gone

I had not gone
I would have gone

I would have not gone
Perfect  Imperfect
I have been going

I have not been going

I had been going

I had not been going
I would have been going

I would not have been going


Below table shows examples using Pronoun WeOther pronouns you and they can be used in similar way.

We/You/They
Present
Past
Future
simple
We go

We do not go
We went

We did not go
We will go

We will not go
Imperfect
We are going

We are not going
We were going

We were not going
We will be going

We will not be going
Perfect
We have gone

We have not gone
We had gone

We had not gone
We would have gone

We would have not gone
Perfect  Imperfect
We have been going

We have not been going
We had been going

We had not been going
We would have been going

We would not have been going

Below table shows examples using Pronoun He. Other pronouns She and It can be used in similar way.

(He/She/It)
Present
Past
Future
simple
He goes

He does not go
He went

He did not go
He will go

He will not go
Imperfect
He is going

He is not going
He was going

He was not going
He will be going

He will not be going
Perfect
He has gone

He has not gone
He had gone

He had not gone
He would have gone

He would not have gone
Perfect  Imperfect
He has been going

He has not been going
He had been going

He had not been going
He would have been going

He would not have been going



What do you think on this topic? Please express your opinion or ask any question through comment below. You can write to me at reply2sagar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your valuable feedback. Your thoughts do matter to us.

Sponsored Links

Popular Posts

Comments

ShareThis