as

Sunday 14 December 2014

Adverbs in English Grammar

Adverbs are words in English sentence that modify the meaning of verb.

For Example -

He runs slowly.
He is working very hard.
He met with an accident today.

We can identify the adverb in the sentence by asking the question "how", "When", "Where" to verb.

How does he run?
Answer is slowly.

How is he working?
Answer is very hard.

When did he meet with an accident?
Answer is today

Types of Adverbs in English Grammar.
Adverbs can be classified based upon what kind of information they provide.
Below is the list of types of Adverbs.
  1. Time 
  2. Place
  3. Manner
  4. Degree
  5. Certainty
1.Time related Adverbs
These adverbs are used to give information about the time. E.g - fast, faster, fastest
soon, sooner, soonest, just, never

Examples -

He went to his home town day before yesterday.
He is coming tomorrow.
I want you to study now,
I am still young.
He has not reached to Mumbai yet.
He rarely speaks.
I worked in cognizant for 3 years.
I have been working with Zomato since 2010.

2.Place related Adverbs
These adverbs are used to give information about the place.E.g - far, further (farther), furthest (farthest)


Examples -

He went there and picked up a fight.
Come here. I will teach you English.
Go downstairs.
Come upstairs.
Car was hit by Bus from behind.
He fell down.
I could find balloons everywhere.
I am planning to work abroad.

3.Manner related Adverbs
These adverbs are used to give information about the emotion, manner etc. E.g. well, better, best
badly, worse, worst, carefully

Examples -

He failed in exam very badly.
They are happily married.
He came back quickly.

4.Degree related Adverbs
These adverbs are used to give information about the degree or the extent. E.g. often, more often, most often, much, more, most, a little, less, least.

Examples -

He usually comes late to the office.
She almost won the race.
I never worked on Cloud Computing.
Sometimes I eat sea food.
I visit my home town frequently.
She angrily slapped him.

5.Certainty related Adverbs
These adverbs are used to express certainty of the event. E.g. usually, possibly

Examples -

I will probably join you at the party.
Certainly, I will be there.

More examples on adverbs are given below.
  1. It is still raining.
  2. The boy has not reached office yet.
  3. He has already got a car. 
  4. I always go to office at 8.30 AM
  5. I usually take coffe in the evening
  6. I often phone my brother.

What do you think on this topic? Please express your opinion or ask any question through comment below. You can write to me at reply2sagar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your valuable feedback. Your thoughts do matter to us.

Sponsored Links

Popular Posts

Comments

ShareThis